The first step, in many cases, for choosing your engagement ring is determining the shape of the diamond you like best. Shape describes the form of the diamond, as it is seen from above. Did you know the shape of the diamond you prefer may say something about your personality and style? Today we are going to talk about all the different diamond shapes and what they say about you!
First, of course, is the most popular shape: the round diamond. Did you know that over 75% of all diamonds sold are classic round diamonds? Round engagement rings are classic and can be fashioned into the most settings, including solitaire, halo, pavé, channel set, and more! Round diamonds are distinguished by their 58 facets and a 360-degree symmetrical shape. Geometrically, the “Brilliant Round” diamond is ideally suited to maximize light and it’s reflection, creating one of the most sparkly shapes you can buy. In addition, the circular shape of the round diamond signifies a love without end.
What does it say about you? Those who choose a round diamond are traditional, laid-back, and honest.
Famous celebrity round diamond engagement rings: Mila Kunis, Gisele Bundchen, Lauren Conrad, Tia Mowry
While round diamonds are the most popular, there are nine other shapes into which a diamond can be fashioned. Here are what they are and what they mean:
- Princess: Princess-cut diamonds possess the same brilliance as a round diamond but in a sleek square shape. Invented in the early 1960s by Arpad Nagy, the “princess cut” was originally called the “profile cut”. This cut is known for beauty, style, and edge. Some refer to this shape as the square diamond.
What does it say about you? Those who choose a princess cut diamond are fun-loving, spontaneous, and intelligent.
Famous celebrity princess-cut engagement rings: Kate Bosworth, Jessica Biel, Hilary Duff
- Emerald: Emerald shape diamonds have layered corners and long facets, which create the look of steps. The emerald cut highlights clarity better than all other shapes. Because of this, you will need to look for the highest quality stone within your budget. This cut is known for beauty, precision, and sophistication.
What does it say about you? Those who choose an emerald-cut diamond are straightforward, hard-working, and sophisticated
Famous celebrity emerald-cut engagement rings: Beyoncé, Amal Clooney, Jennifer Lopez
- Asscher: An Asscher cut diamond is an octagonal diamond with a square shape and layered facets. The Asscher cut features a deep pavilion and high crown—offering brilliance and its signature look. There are two types of Asscher cuts, both created by the Royal Asscher company: the standard Asscher cut has 58 facets and the Royal Asscher cut has 74.
What does it say about you? Those who choose an Asscher-cut diamond are unique, retro, and sophisticated
Famous celebrity Asscher-cut engagement rings: Pippa Middleton, Gwenyth Paltrow, Jessica Alba
- Cushion: A cushion-shaped stone has a square-rectangular cut with rounded corners & large facets, which enhance the brilliance of the stone. This cut catches the light in such a way that it creates a kaleidoscope effect. A cushion cut diamond is also known as a pillow-cut diamond, due to its soft shape.
What does it say about you? Those who choose a cushion-cut diamond are traditional, elegant, and dependable
Famous celebrity cushion-cut engagement rings: Meghan Markle, Kim Kardashian, Priyanka Chopra
- Radiant: Radiant-cut diamonds are similar to an emerald cut, with its octagonal shape, but cut with many more facets to more strongly reflect light. This gives it much more sparkle than a traditional emerald-cut diamond.
What does it say about you? Those who choose a radiant-cut diamond are bubbly, outgoing, charming
Famous celebrity radiant-cut engagement rings: Jennifer Aniston, Drew Barrymore, Klohe Kardashian
- Oval: Oval-shaped diamonds offer the sparkle of round stones in a dazzling silhouette; they are perfect for those who love to stay ahead of the trends, but also love a classic yet elegant aesthetic. Oval cuts have become one of the most popular diamond shapes.
What does it say about you? Those who choose an oval-cut diamond are bright, individualistic, daring
Famous celebrity oval-cut engagement rings: Hailey Baldwin, Kate Middleton, Serena Williams
- Marquise: Its oval shape meets in pointed ends, resembling the hull of a ship — this cut is also known as the Navette cut, which means “little boat” in French. It is also referred to as the football-shaped cut or the eye-shaped cut.
What does it say about you? Those who choose a marquise-shaped diamond are creative, edgy, glamourous
Famous celebrity marquise-cut engagement rings: Portia de Rossi, Ashlee Simpson, Catherine Zeta-Jones
- Pear: The pear cut is also referred to as a tear-shaped diamond (tear of joy, mind you!), this is the least common of all the diamond cuts. This makes this cut one of the more unique diamond cuts out there.
What does it say about you? Those who choose a pear-shaped diamond are adventurous, adaptable, devoted
Famous celebrity pear-cut engagement rings: Jessica Simpson, Kaley Cuoco, Sophie Turner
- Heart: Heart-shaped diamonds are just that 🤍! For the true romantic, heart-shaped diamonds come in a variety of silhouettes, from narrow to fat. When choosing a heart, symmetry is a very important characteristic, since it is critical that the two halves of the heart are identical.
What does it say about you? Those who choose a heart-shaped diamond are romantic, bold, unique
Famous celebrity heart-cut engagement rings: Nicki Minaj, Lada Gaga, Gwen Stefani
So there you are! The complete rundown of ALL your diamond shapes, what they say about you, and what celebrities are wearing them! So what are you wearing? Snap a pic and tag us on Instagram @grandrapidsbride!
Happy Wedding Planning!